Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Novice Sewer Vent, Introduction


One of the things that I have learned in the past few months about sewing is that in order to have a decent go at it, you have to learn a wide range of small details. There are aspects to the sewing process that I really had no idea were as relevant as they are to quality work. These aspects always seem to catch up with me right when I think I know how to do a piece. In the case of the Swing Dress Sew-Along, it was presser feet that got me. I mean, besides the sleeve fitting.

There's a wide range of questions that have arisen besides presser feet and sleeve fitting, though. So I thought it may be worthwhile if I were to actually make that part of my posting: as a novice seamstress, I'd like to make posts actually asking those of you out there what I'm supposed to do in certain situations. If I don't post a question, I'd at least like to post what I've learned already, so that it's out in cyberspace for general reference. I mean, there are numerous resources out there already, but finding them, reading them, and then tying it all together can get tedious. I'm going to try to see if I cannot get some resources centralized in one place.

In the next few weeks, I will try to start this series of "vents" before I start integrating all of this information and forgetting that it's not second nature to know these things. Let me know if there are certain subjects you also find confusing about sewing; I'll try to do some investigations to help us all out! Also, if you have a better name than "Novice Sewer Vent" for this kind of post, please let me know. It doesn't roll off the tongue at all, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, yes they are all quilting cottons. They are the same material that I use for my bags and can easily be used for skirts, dresses etc.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete