Thursday, June 09, 2011

Ginger Mint Lemonade


One of the things I find I do when I plan parties is I get crazy excited about the menu and make plans to make too many things all at once. With my recent birthday brunch, I ended up having a whole stash of supplies on things that I never made. Take this ginger and these lemons and this here mint. Sparkling ginger lemonade and mint iced tea, or ginger-mint tea, or mint lemonade, or... (that ellipses really does mean I'm still going on and on and on).

A week later, I still hadn't used them. But I had plans for them, because they just seemed as though they should go together. Don't they?

I can't say that this is the final version. Unlike more serious foodie blogs, I really don't care to try out recipes over and over until it's perfected before I tell you about it. I am more of an idea girl. Let's give it a go and see what happens, right?


Besides, I didn't really do the work on the recipe here. I got the main proportions off of this recipe. It had the most ginger to mint ratio compared to the others I read, and I love me some ginger.

Instead of the honey, though, I added a tablespoon of vegetable glycerin. It's got a nice mild sweet to it, that even Buddy likes, and I can add a little more bite with a drop or two of stevia. But I don't need it, really. It's pretty good as is. And Buddy and I like us a tart lemonade. I do miss some of that honey tang though. Like so many sweet things, it feels like there's no substitution for that kind of nuance. Well, not with the sweeteners I use. There is this or this kinda sweetener, made with sugar alcohols, but it's not recommended for my diet. But I may try it out one day. Maybe.

In the meantime, I have me a nice mellow refreshing drink to keep me cool. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment