Sunday, March 20, 2011

Japan Quake Appeal Raffle

quake appeal

RAFFLE is CLOSED. Feel free to still make donations, though!

I'm not sure which blog linked me to Jojoebi's Japan Quake Appeal, in which various bloggers are putting their goods up for a raffle or auction in order to drum up aid for Japan. When I found out about this organized response to the disaster, I wanted to get involved.


Besides buying lots of raffle shares for some fabric and bidding on some moving family art, I also want to join in on the cause with my own raffle. I do not have much to offer, but I hope you will find the little package worth bidding on. Apologies for the grainy pictures. My camera doesn't do so well with indoor lighting.

The first item is a puzzle wrap that I made from a thrifted jersey sheet. It's a little tricky to figure out how to put on at first, but I'll send pictures and directions.

It can fit a variety of sized folks, according to the pattern, but it may be tricky for those with broad shoulders. If it doesn't fit, I don't mind exchanging either. It will likely be another fabric, but it's better to fit well than to be a specific fabric!


The other items in the package are shown below:
It consists of four different Japanese cotton fabrics of various amounts. They have all been prewashed once, so there may be some shrinkage upon the second washing. They're not the standard measurements, all with the width of 14", and three of them are really just remnants. That doesn't mean you can't make many a wicked cute craft out of them, though!

I'll go in order of the smallest (also the cutest) to the largest:


The rabbit print I have is quite small, but darling. It measures 14" x 10", which would make for a nice little purse, pincushion, eye pillow, sachet, quilting, etc.

I just read Tilly and the Buttons' tutorial on making a fabric necklace on Elegant Musings. I think any of these fabrics would suit that kind of project well. :)






The second print is my favorite, featuring a brightly colored japanese floral print. This one measures at 14" x 28", so opens up some larger scale crafting possibilities.

I made some Colette bloomers out of this fabric, which I just find awesome and cute. You can see them at my Burdastyle page. There's not enough of this left for that kind of a project, but I'm pretty sure that whatever you come up with will be adorable.










This third print is on cotton seersucker fabric. I can't describe it beyond Japanese graphic print, in blues, green, and greys. This piece measures at 14" x 44". I made a second pair of bloomers from this fabric, and they turned out really well too. It sewed easy, and could be used for any number of small projects.














The final piece of fabric is the most sizeable. I was saving it to possibly use for the romper/playsuit I had mentioned earlier. It's got a variety of blues and grays wide stripes, shot through with narrow red and yellow stripes. This one is a more substantial amount of fabric, measuring at 14" x 5 yards 6". Maybe it'd be a good fabric to try out Indietute's new flat front trousers for little ones?




There are other items in this raffle as well, that I do not want to forget.


I've got some plain origami paper that I'm throwing in because there's always a good excuse to make something out of paper! It's a motley set of colors and sizes, 7 small squares, 11 medium, and 9 large. There are some metallic squares in the large size, besides the bright colors.

And finally, I am including a book from one of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami. The book is South of the Border, West of the Sun. I sincerely love this man's work, and the existential themes he plays around with. If you haven't read his stuff, I recommend it highly.

UPDATE: For those of you who are not craft/sewing minded, please feel free to still bid. Should you win, I will gladly talk to you about crafts that I can make for you with these materials. You can use them for yourself or for gifts for other folks, so please don't think this isn't a raffle for you!

How to enter:
Go to GlobalGiving.co.uk (United Kingdom) or GlobalGiving.org (United States) and make a donation.
  • Every $5 donation or 3 pound donation entitles you to one raffle ticket. You should be aware that Global Giving requires a minimum of $10 as a donation. So you automatically start out with two chances to win!
  • After you have made your donation, come back and leave a comment on this post, telling me how much you donated (ie how many tickets you have bought) and your receipt number.
  • Don't forget to leave your e-mail address in the comment too - you can write it as name 'at' yahoo 'dot' com if you are worried about spam.
  • If you make a mistake or need to change your comment, please go back and delete your first comment and rewrite it. If you have any problem with this portion, just let me know via my profile email.
  • Open to anyone, anywhere in the world!
  • I am joining this appeal late, so the raffle will close at NOON (Eastern Standard) on March 28th and the winner will be drawn at random and contacted by email.
Let me know via email if you have any issues with this arrangement. I'll see what I can do to address it.



No comments: