So. I am going to further confound this trait of mine by trying to track it in the name of getting it under control. A least, in terms of sewing. In other words, I am going to add some extra legwork in my life and track my sewing habits in order to cut back on the extra legwork in my life so I can sew more. Make sense?
Let's see if I can make this simpler: I'm participating in Tilly and the Button's Sewing Productivity Project.
For those of you rolling your eyes, don't worry. I'll just do the minimal amount of work here: daily review of Tilly's questions. I'll do my best not to get long-winded or to complicate matters. And it's only for a week. I promise. (Wow. I sound like I'm a planaholic. Or a workaholic. Or a distractaholic.)
As I'm more reliably on the computer than most other things, I will just keep my diary on a daily basis here. Maybe I'll gain some insight into the depths of my addiction.
Today is Day 1:
- How many hours per day/week do you sew?
Today, I do not think I'll be sewing at all, but I hope to mark up my Crepe muslin to transfer changes to my next muslin version. I've been putting it off all week.
- What are you spending/wasting the rest of your free time on?
I was up early-ish this morning to cook up lots of food for a family gathering. I'll post more on it later, as I experimented a bit on a recipe to make it more me-friendly. Then I was at the family gathering all day, came home, put away leftovers, practiced violin, played on the computer (er, this is actually still that part).
- When you do sew, how do you feel before, during and afterwards?
I've been feeling frazzled, spacey, tired, and a little hormonal today. Which makes sewing feel both like just one more thing I need to do, and the one thing I want to do. The feeling like sewing is something I need to get done is most pressing right now, since I haven't done anything. Marking the muslin should feel pretty soothing. I just have to go do it.
- What factors are you aware of that impact upon when you make time to sew? Work, friends, family. The big one right now is that there's an upcoming wedding for which I'm to help play music. I need to practice for that. This time of year with the family is also quite busy--birthdays galore! Mother's Day! Another big thing is that I'm trying to rethink my job situation, as I'd like less hours, and less time spent commuting. I have been feeling like it's harder for me to keep up with work. And like there's never enough time for me to sew. (It's more complicated than that, but I'm not going to get into it.)
- What are you learning about sewing productivity from this process, if anything? What tips can you share?
Nothing quite yet. This is basically me telling you what I already know: there's a lot of stuff going on. I'm just trying to hold on.