Thursday, October 06, 2011

DC Launch Party, GenXY Vintage


This past Saturday evening, I attended a launch party for GenXY Vintage, a DC vintage boutique and coffee shop. I had heard of the event through the Capital Area Fashion and Beauty Bloggers Group (DCFABB), and thought it would be a fun event to attend. And free. Free events always seem more appealing to me, for some reason. ;)

No matter how much I like these, I'd never be able to walk in them.

Now, my style sensibilities these days have been veering towards the early 20th century: the late 20s and early 30s, the 50s, and the 60s. So I was a little surprised (though certainly not disappointed!) at the type of vintage clothing that was being showcased at the event: more 60s, 80s, 90s. I think this can be one of those platforms in which we could debate what qualifies as vintage, but I have never felt the need to do so and won't partake now. I liked the clothes, no matter when they were from! In truth, the style was palpable among the guests; I felt a little dowdy comparatively speaking. But then, I suppose I'm not all that surprised: I have often found that I'm a little out of sync with much of fashion. 


Amazing beadwork top!
If anything, I think it was a great reminder of just how much I enjoy the loud bright colors and daring combinations that vintage can offer. Who needs to be dowdy when they wear vintage? My wardrobe wheels are turning much more now... oh the options!
The owner of GenXY Vintage: Ashley Tyrus
It was also a pleasure to meet Ashley, the owner of GenXY Vintage: her enthusiasm and her energy were great! It was clear that she is very proud of her venture and determined to make it into a fun place to seek out in the DC area. And really, who can't appreciate a chance to shop vintage while getting to drink a nice cup of coffee? Or tea, I suppose. I'm not picky. If you can't make it to her DC shop, you can also shop her wares here! (No coffee or tea though.)

I love the range of models, and those tights, and that knit dress. 

I'm such a shoe freak.

Color!!!!!


I love the bold and the class here.

I think I have a crush on that pink dress. Maybe I'll make a swing dress from a similar fabric?

Hoppin'!

My compulsive detail photo of future embellishment aspirations.
If you want to see more photos from the event, I'll post them up on Flickr. I have to say that the show gave me a great opportunity to play around with my camera; wallflowers should always carry around a camera. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment